Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier... Trailer!

This is the big one, 007! This is what we've been waiting for! (And yes, thank you, I'm fully aware of the irony of making a James Bond reference in a Le Carré story.) The Guardian has posted the first teaser trailer for Tomas Alfredson's upcoming spy movie Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, starring Gary Oldman and based on the seminal John Le Carré book which, for my money, is a very strong contender for the best spy novel ever written. The fact that we're seeing this trailer the same week as our first glimpse at the Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol trailer not only delivers spy fans an abundance of riches; it also highlights the wide spectrum of story that all fit within the overall spy genre. M:I-GP is pure action stuffed to the brim with stunts, whereas TTSS is all intrigue and atmosphere (though they do manage to stick in a shot from just about every scene involving a gun, which is appropriate for a teaser!).

As expected (but it still comes as a relief), I love this trailer.  I love the tone, I love the music, I love the hints we get of the performances, I love the cinematography, I love the art direction, I love the Seventies fashions and hairstyles; I love pretty much everything about it.  This is exactly what a spy movie of this sort should look like! I can't wait. Please note, the release date listed at the end is the UK release date. As previously reported, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy will be released in America by Focus Features on November 18.