reno_john
06-16 02:02 AM
If you read the instructions for I-485, nowhere does it require you to be on a non immigrant visa, with dual intent, to apply for I-485.
I tried to read the instructions from the standpoint of a student, and I did not find anything that says I cannot apply to adjust status. All they want is proof of your status and admission.
Also, we have someone in our company who will go for Eb1, and is on OPT (which is not a status, F1 is). He was told that he can apply for I-140!
Any F1 visa spouse can apply for I-485 the only legal cause is that at the time of filing spouse status should be legal, found from my attorney.
As per my knowledge when I was a student, the internation center updates the Sevis database and also writes on the I-20 that the student is accepting OPT and so a EAD needs to be issued. And on the EAD it will mention that the EAD is for OPT, so EAD for I485 is differect from EAD for OPT.
I tried to read the instructions from the standpoint of a student, and I did not find anything that says I cannot apply to adjust status. All they want is proof of your status and admission.
Also, we have someone in our company who will go for Eb1, and is on OPT (which is not a status, F1 is). He was told that he can apply for I-140!
Any F1 visa spouse can apply for I-485 the only legal cause is that at the time of filing spouse status should be legal, found from my attorney.
As per my knowledge when I was a student, the internation center updates the Sevis database and also writes on the I-20 that the student is accepting OPT and so a EAD needs to be issued. And on the EAD it will mention that the EAD is for OPT, so EAD for I485 is differect from EAD for OPT.
needhelp!
02-13 12:41 PM
We need a few catchy words to put in a community newsletter. This is for people who don't know about IV. It has to be something that will make people click on the text and come to IV website.
Here are a few suggestions I have got so far:
"Do H1Bs have the right to free speech? Check out ImmigrationVoice.org letter campaign working for you."
"Please join Immigration Voice and participate actively in the Administrative Fix campaign"
"If you are in this country legally, prepare for getting whacked"
"Is GREEN CARD holding up your future and career? - Liberate yourself by participating in the Administrative Fix campaign done by Immigration Voice.
Come on guys.. let your creative juices flow.. but keep it very short.
Here are a few suggestions I have got so far:
"Do H1Bs have the right to free speech? Check out ImmigrationVoice.org letter campaign working for you."
"Please join Immigration Voice and participate actively in the Administrative Fix campaign"
"If you are in this country legally, prepare for getting whacked"
"Is GREEN CARD holding up your future and career? - Liberate yourself by participating in the Administrative Fix campaign done by Immigration Voice.
Come on guys.. let your creative juices flow.. but keep it very short.
AB1275
12-16 11:36 AM
My lawyer has submitted the advertisement to TWC for EB2 and EB3 category to weigh the options. She says it takes 5-10 business days for a response.....Is this true?
She suggested that if we take the route of EB2 for the second time, the scrutiny will be more intense and hence my W-2 of 2008 should also show the wages per the payscale even though my new filing will start in 2009. Is this true?
Kindly help!
She suggested that if we take the route of EB2 for the second time, the scrutiny will be more intense and hence my W-2 of 2008 should also show the wages per the payscale even though my new filing will start in 2009. Is this true?
Kindly help!
sangmami
06-16 08:16 AM
Hi Murali77
I am in the exact position as you.
My name is the same on Birth certificate, passport, h1B dcuments, but reversed in SS card and subsequently in my credit cards.
Any more info on how to tackle this?
I am in the exact position as you.
My name is the same on Birth certificate, passport, h1B dcuments, but reversed in SS card and subsequently in my credit cards.
Any more info on how to tackle this?
more...
chanduv23
03-04 11:58 AM
>> Do you have a Green Card?
This is not a legal question. If question is posted on web-site, that can be reported.
Like in said my earlier post, employer can not ask for kind of employment authorization.
________________________
Not a legal advice.
US citizen of Indian origin
Thanks desi - as always ur source of information is great. Lets get some view points from IV lawyers on this issue.
If that is the case, what about employment websites? Maybe they need to be notified to change their options?
This is not a legal question. If question is posted on web-site, that can be reported.
Like in said my earlier post, employer can not ask for kind of employment authorization.
________________________
Not a legal advice.
US citizen of Indian origin
Thanks desi - as always ur source of information is great. Lets get some view points from IV lawyers on this issue.
If that is the case, what about employment websites? Maybe they need to be notified to change their options?
vts31
10-20 10:08 PM
correct...and holy crap u have a lot of posts!
more...
vegasbaby
02-19 07:23 PM
I thought this might be of your interest.
Home - Upgrading to EB2: Can I use the same job? (http://www.immigration-information.com/forums/content/155-upgrading-to-eb2-can-i-use-the-same-job.html)
Home - Upgrading to EB2: Can I use the same job? (http://www.immigration-information.com/forums/content/155-upgrading-to-eb2-can-i-use-the-same-job.html)
webm
02-14 09:28 AM
"If your RD for the 485 is later than that that means they didn't get to look at your file yet even though your PD is current."
I heard it is based on ND(Notice Date) not RD(ReceivedDate) of 485.
HTH,
I heard it is based on ND(Notice Date) not RD(ReceivedDate) of 485.
HTH,
more...

amsgc
06-16 12:35 AM
Murali,
It is always good to have your documents in order. If you are aware of the problem, why don't you have it fixed?
It may very well be a typo. on the card, and everything else may be in order. For example, what does it say on your credit report? If it is the other way round, then there is problem that must be fixed.
I would have it fixed it anyway.
Dear Friends
I have a big problem , my name is correct on passport, birthcertificate , H1 but my social security card has my name swapped. I never bothered to change all these years but I hear name check so I am worried.
Will my 1-485 case get stuck because of this
is it a good idea to change the name on SSN now.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Murali
It is always good to have your documents in order. If you are aware of the problem, why don't you have it fixed?
It may very well be a typo. on the card, and everything else may be in order. For example, what does it say on your credit report? If it is the other way round, then there is problem that must be fixed.
I would have it fixed it anyway.
Dear Friends
I have a big problem , my name is correct on passport, birthcertificate , H1 but my social security card has my name swapped. I never bothered to change all these years but I hear name check so I am worried.
Will my 1-485 case get stuck because of this
is it a good idea to change the name on SSN now.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Murali
wandmaker
08-25 09:39 AM
Hi,
My labour was approved on 23-Jan-08 and its expiration date is 21-Jul-08.
I recently got my 140 receipt notice with receipt date as 24-Jul-08.
I am wondering is my 140 is filed with in the valid time.
Is there any rule like do we need to file 140 with in 180 days of labour approval.If so will my 140 get approval or denial.
pl give me the response.
Thanks for looking this.
As long as your application reached the mail room on or before Jul 21, 2008 then you are good to go and don't worry about the date on 797 receipt notice and remember to save the delivery proof. If it has reached after Jul 21, 2008 then your case will be denied because your labor is no longer valid from Jul 22, 2008 - you will have to start everything from scratch
My labour was approved on 23-Jan-08 and its expiration date is 21-Jul-08.
I recently got my 140 receipt notice with receipt date as 24-Jul-08.
I am wondering is my 140 is filed with in the valid time.
Is there any rule like do we need to file 140 with in 180 days of labour approval.If so will my 140 get approval or denial.
pl give me the response.
Thanks for looking this.
As long as your application reached the mail room on or before Jul 21, 2008 then you are good to go and don't worry about the date on 797 receipt notice and remember to save the delivery proof. If it has reached after Jul 21, 2008 then your case will be denied because your labor is no longer valid from Jul 22, 2008 - you will have to start everything from scratch
more...

dagabaaj
01-23 11:19 AM
Finally the dates for I-140 have moved beyond the 8/15/2007 for Texas service center. That is a good sign. We should see some I-140 approvals soon then.
webm
11-06 08:47 AM
I believe you are in New York. Next time try the direct flight from Mumbai to Newark. I heard thats the best my friend just tried it and he was going gaga about it. I am sure your inlaws can manage Chennai to Mumbai. What are the chances u can find someone who can speak Tamil ,Telgu in Mumbai than in Brussles or any other stopoever in Europe. :-)
Can we know which airline direct flight from Mumbai to Newark you mentioned something new or is it AirIndia??
Can we know which airline direct flight from Mumbai to Newark you mentioned something new or is it AirIndia??
more...

Munna Bhai
02-08 11:32 AM
Hello,
My thread had wrong title and that created more problem, hope this title makes sense and please feel free to share your experience.
I know the following, I worked very hard for the current company and they pay me the way they pay any immigrant. Atlast got my I-140 approved and now I would like to go ahead with available options and at any cost I will protect I-140 from being revoked.
If I-140 is not revoked:
a)One can extend H1b through any company for 3-years.
b)One can get PD ported.
If I-140 is revoked:
a)It is a grey area but commen-sense says that one is out-of-status.
How to protect I-140 being revoked:
a)Transfer the case to your own attorney?? See that employer or employer's attorney has not much say on your case file??
b)Give some valid reason to current employer until your I-140 from other company is approved.
Or any other thoughts???
My thread had wrong title and that created more problem, hope this title makes sense and please feel free to share your experience.
I know the following, I worked very hard for the current company and they pay me the way they pay any immigrant. Atlast got my I-140 approved and now I would like to go ahead with available options and at any cost I will protect I-140 from being revoked.
If I-140 is not revoked:
a)One can extend H1b through any company for 3-years.
b)One can get PD ported.
If I-140 is revoked:
a)It is a grey area but commen-sense says that one is out-of-status.
How to protect I-140 being revoked:
a)Transfer the case to your own attorney?? See that employer or employer's attorney has not much say on your case file??
b)Give some valid reason to current employer until your I-140 from other company is approved.
Or any other thoughts???
saileshdude
07-26 07:58 PM
It is best that you never be out of job. If you lose job, try to get one ASAP. It normally takes a month or two to get one if you work hard and try
Hi Chandu
Were you able to talk to any good immigration attorney regarding what happens if I-140 is revoked. You can PM me to let me know.
Thanks.
Hi Chandu
Were you able to talk to any good immigration attorney regarding what happens if I-140 is revoked. You can PM me to let me know.
Thanks.
more...

stirfries
12-02 01:27 PM
Thanks SS777 !!!
I am optimistic as well !!! I am just hoping that I receive the documents by end of this week !
But at the same time, I wouldn't want to sit idle, just hoping !!! :)
I am going to try whatever options that might be available, to speed up the document receipt, if it is possible !!!
Probably, I can set up an appointment with InfoPass, sometime next week, and see what they have to say about this...
The scary part is, I have read several posts by other users who had reported the loss of document once it has been mailed out by USCIS. I hope I do not fall into that category and I want to be aware of the next course of action, if indeed, I fall into that category.
Cancelling my Tickets is the last option that I have in my mind !!!
The things that we have to go through to get a GC !!!! :)
My attorney finally received the AP documents on hand, 16 days after the online status had changed to "Document Production or Oath Ceremony".
At least, now I don't have to think about postponing my Tickets !!!
Hope it works out for all you folks !!!
Good Luck !!!
Thanks,
I am optimistic as well !!! I am just hoping that I receive the documents by end of this week !
But at the same time, I wouldn't want to sit idle, just hoping !!! :)
I am going to try whatever options that might be available, to speed up the document receipt, if it is possible !!!
Probably, I can set up an appointment with InfoPass, sometime next week, and see what they have to say about this...
The scary part is, I have read several posts by other users who had reported the loss of document once it has been mailed out by USCIS. I hope I do not fall into that category and I want to be aware of the next course of action, if indeed, I fall into that category.
Cancelling my Tickets is the last option that I have in my mind !!!
The things that we have to go through to get a GC !!!! :)
My attorney finally received the AP documents on hand, 16 days after the online status had changed to "Document Production or Oath Ceremony".
At least, now I don't have to think about postponing my Tickets !!!
Hope it works out for all you folks !!!
Good Luck !!!
Thanks,
ita
10-26 10:28 AM
Hi ,
Cna someone give me the customer Servcie #s to call For TSC
Are they by service center?
Wat is Second Level Support and what is the # to call them?
Cna someone give me the customer Servcie #s to call For TSC
Are they by service center?
Wat is Second Level Support and what is the # to call them?
more...
milmuk
07-23 11:24 AM
Hi,
I am planning to renew my AP while in India. What is the procedure to do this?
My details :
Applied for H1 transfer - Dec 15,2008 - normal category -still pending
Ap - valid till Nov 2009
EAD - valid till Nov 2010.Using AC21 for working with the present employer.
I came back to India in March, after completing the project.
My present employer wants me to come to the US only when I have a project in hand.
Based in India, it is very difficult to find the project. Also, most of the projects need US citizen, GC holder, so very less projects available to the H1-B holders. Due to the recession, working on the contract is again a problem, since companies want the permanent employee, instead of contract employee.
I understand that presently working on H1 is difficult, since one should have the project in hand before applying for H1. Sometimes, at the port of entry they ask for paystubs for all the period, ask about the end client details etc. Sometimes people were sent back, since they didn't have all the details at the port of entry.
In this scenario, I am still not sure, if coming back to US will be a good option or not.
But I may need to come if the AP renewal is not possible from India.
In present scenario, If AP renewal is not possible from India, I will have to unnecessarily travel to US on existing AP (till Nov 09).I won't be able to come on H1-B, since my H1 application is still pending even after 6 months. How can one do AP renewal while in India?
Since in the present scenario,I may not get a job(since I don't have GC/citizenship),will it be advisable to come to US just to renew AP?
My ead is valid till Nov 2010,which means If I enter US before ead expiry,I will be able to work on ead.I have lost all the hope for H1 now,since it is more than 7 months.Of course for ead,is it possible to renew it while in India?
I don't have much finances now,so travel to US just to renew ap/ead in the hope of getting gc one day,is bit problematic.I am on EB3 labor 2006 , so GC process will take atleast 5 years.
Even if I reach US for AP renewal, I have to stay there for 2-3 months,till AP gets renewed.
I am not very confortable with this situation.
I just want to keep my GC process going by renewing ap and ead.Is there any way out of this?
I think the rule is , If you don't come to the US while the AP is valid, you abandon the I-485.
Can you give me some guidence on this?
I am planning to renew my AP while in India. What is the procedure to do this?
My details :
Applied for H1 transfer - Dec 15,2008 - normal category -still pending
Ap - valid till Nov 2009
EAD - valid till Nov 2010.Using AC21 for working with the present employer.
I came back to India in March, after completing the project.
My present employer wants me to come to the US only when I have a project in hand.
Based in India, it is very difficult to find the project. Also, most of the projects need US citizen, GC holder, so very less projects available to the H1-B holders. Due to the recession, working on the contract is again a problem, since companies want the permanent employee, instead of contract employee.
I understand that presently working on H1 is difficult, since one should have the project in hand before applying for H1. Sometimes, at the port of entry they ask for paystubs for all the period, ask about the end client details etc. Sometimes people were sent back, since they didn't have all the details at the port of entry.
In this scenario, I am still not sure, if coming back to US will be a good option or not.
But I may need to come if the AP renewal is not possible from India.
In present scenario, If AP renewal is not possible from India, I will have to unnecessarily travel to US on existing AP (till Nov 09).I won't be able to come on H1-B, since my H1 application is still pending even after 6 months. How can one do AP renewal while in India?
Since in the present scenario,I may not get a job(since I don't have GC/citizenship),will it be advisable to come to US just to renew AP?
My ead is valid till Nov 2010,which means If I enter US before ead expiry,I will be able to work on ead.I have lost all the hope for H1 now,since it is more than 7 months.Of course for ead,is it possible to renew it while in India?
I don't have much finances now,so travel to US just to renew ap/ead in the hope of getting gc one day,is bit problematic.I am on EB3 labor 2006 , so GC process will take atleast 5 years.
Even if I reach US for AP renewal, I have to stay there for 2-3 months,till AP gets renewed.
I am not very confortable with this situation.
I just want to keep my GC process going by renewing ap and ead.Is there any way out of this?
I think the rule is , If you don't come to the US while the AP is valid, you abandon the I-485.
Can you give me some guidence on this?
hebbar77
11-23 08:10 PM
Do you mean we can send checks for $ accounts to be deposited into local rupees accounts in india? Does this work. Do you know how long it takes for them to get the money after each cheque deposit?
I send through Wells Fargo to ICICI bank in Inida. You can open a remmitance account with wels fargo and wire transfer yourself. Every $1000 dollars they charge $9 dollars.
Advantage is money is there in 2 days.
Simplest way is ...send your mom, post dated checks for the whole year. Mail it through Prioriy mail using USPS.....ony costs 5 dollars. She can deposit the check every month. I 've been doing it for longest time.
Only , in case of emergency and you want to transfer 5000 or more, i like Wells Fargo Service.
I send through Wells Fargo to ICICI bank in Inida. You can open a remmitance account with wels fargo and wire transfer yourself. Every $1000 dollars they charge $9 dollars.
Advantage is money is there in 2 days.
Simplest way is ...send your mom, post dated checks for the whole year. Mail it through Prioriy mail using USPS.....ony costs 5 dollars. She can deposit the check every month. I 've been doing it for longest time.
Only , in case of emergency and you want to transfer 5000 or more, i like Wells Fargo Service.
kaisersose
10-12 08:47 AM
Dear experts.. Need your advise..
I stayed in US for full 5 years on L1-B. After 5 years period I applied for H1-B and returned to Inida on 1-Jan-07. And I got H1-B in lottery. Below are my queries
1) My I-797 says that its valid for only one year till October 2008. What could be the reason. (Because I stayed 5 years in US? )
2) So is it advisable to go to stamping after 1-Jan-08? Or can I go for stamping now? I don't want to be in a situtation where I'll b given Visa till Jan'08?
3) Now my company wants to apply for L1-A. What happens to my current H1-B if L1 is applied?
Assuming applying L1 is not going to be invalidate my H1 papers,
4) If I go for L1 stamping, will it invalidate my H1-B papers?
5) If I come to US on L1, is it possible to change status to H1?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
1) Possibly.
2) The visa wil lbe given for the validity of the petition. But for your clock to reset, do not enter the US until it is a full year after you left. .
3) Just applying will generally not do anything since you have not yet joined the H employer. You will have a choice at the port of entry to pick a visa. It is possible the other visa may be canceled at the port of entry.
4) Answered in 3
5) Yes. You can take your chances wth next year's lottery or you can travel outside and enter with your H visa. I would say do not get your H stamped yet. Save it for an emergency. That way there is no risk of it getting canceled because you used a L.
I stayed in US for full 5 years on L1-B. After 5 years period I applied for H1-B and returned to Inida on 1-Jan-07. And I got H1-B in lottery. Below are my queries
1) My I-797 says that its valid for only one year till October 2008. What could be the reason. (Because I stayed 5 years in US? )
2) So is it advisable to go to stamping after 1-Jan-08? Or can I go for stamping now? I don't want to be in a situtation where I'll b given Visa till Jan'08?
3) Now my company wants to apply for L1-A. What happens to my current H1-B if L1 is applied?
Assuming applying L1 is not going to be invalidate my H1 papers,
4) If I go for L1 stamping, will it invalidate my H1-B papers?
5) If I come to US on L1, is it possible to change status to H1?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
1) Possibly.
2) The visa wil lbe given for the validity of the petition. But for your clock to reset, do not enter the US until it is a full year after you left. .
3) Just applying will generally not do anything since you have not yet joined the H employer. You will have a choice at the port of entry to pick a visa. It is possible the other visa may be canceled at the port of entry.
4) Answered in 3
5) Yes. You can take your chances wth next year's lottery or you can travel outside and enter with your H visa. I would say do not get your H stamped yet. Save it for an emergency. That way there is no risk of it getting canceled because you used a L.
sathyaraj
12-17 03:57 PM
Identify what is the job code in your LC and try to compare the new job duties in the similar category. If you happen to fall within the same group then you are fine. like within 15.****
http://online.onetcenter.org/link/summary/15-1051.00
Try to identify the job code of ur new job, then you will be able to compare.
Hire an attorney before taking any major descisions.
http://online.onetcenter.org/link/summary/15-1051.00
Try to identify the job code of ur new job, then you will be able to compare.
Hire an attorney before taking any major descisions.
mrajatish
04-17 03:29 PM
I have heard of a couple of folks facing this unforseen delay- this happens when your case is audited.