
desi3933
06-26 12:35 AM
Hi. I came from the Philippines and signed a contract for a 3-year obligation as a PT here in the US. My employer paid my recruiter (agency) fees to get me here. In the whole process, I did not shell out anything except for my airfare and other minor fees. However, my recruiter made this written contract saying that if I breach it, I have to pay all the expenses, as in literally all of it regardless of how long I already worked within the three-year period. I just feel that I am being held by my employer since I am planning to move to another company that would better give me the chance to have a green card to a place where I really like to live. Is it really legal that a recruiter make a copy of a contract/bond for the employer and the recruit to sign on it and for me to be responsible to pay all of the fees should I breach the contract? Is there any law/article that prohibits this practice?
I highly appreciate your warm assistance.
NaturopathicPT
Please consult an attorney that deals with Employment and Contract law in your employer's state. Some things are legally binding and other are not. It depends on your agreement terms.
__________________
Not a legal advice
I highly appreciate your warm assistance.
NaturopathicPT
Please consult an attorney that deals with Employment and Contract law in your employer's state. Some things are legally binding and other are not. It depends on your agreement terms.
__________________
Not a legal advice
GCEB2
09-20 11:06 PM
Thanks for the info. how about areas like simivalley, santa clarita, do you get houses for 300 to 350 and
And also around bay area- san roman, liver moore are they good neighbourhood. Also which has more jobs in datawarehousing is it LA or bayarea.
And also around bay area- san roman, liver moore are they good neighbourhood. Also which has more jobs in datawarehousing is it LA or bayarea.
chanduv23
08-05 10:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
aachoo
02-20 06:54 PM
How about the opposite problem. The LC wages are lower that what I am being paid. the LC reflects what I was being paid at the time it was filed. not sure if the lawyer screwed up. Right now, I am doing a similar job (non-IT, non-technical), but with wider responsibility and earning ~ 40% more. What now??
-a
-a
more...

gc2005
11-17 01:35 PM
SKIL is the best bet for us. Hopefully we will see it being discussed soon in Senate.
I agree, SKIL is the best bet for us. There are chances of something happenning before Oct 2007 because of no H1B visa numbers being available unitl then. I don't think it has been that bad situation with H1B until now.
I agree, SKIL is the best bet for us. There are chances of something happenning before Oct 2007 because of no H1B visa numbers being available unitl then. I don't think it has been that bad situation with H1B until now.
small2006
07-21 10:21 AM
FYI:
I don't know if this is old news but thought of sharing it anyway.
I was in the same boat as many others here i.e, no FP notice even 1yr after filing for 485. With my PD becoming current in Aug 2008, I called my attorney to see if he can do anything to help me out. He told me that due to several complaints from people like us and a law suit threat (or an actual lawsuit, not sure) from AILA, the Texas center has sent has set up an exclusive fax line for such requests. This system came into existence only about 2-3 weeks ago.
He sent a fax on my behalf to that number last Tuesday 7/15/08. My wife and I both received FP notices on Sat 7/19/08! So looks like for a change, something that’s set up for our own good is actually working. Frankly, I hadn’t pinned any hopes on the fax having a positive impact but I was pleasantly surprised. Our appointments are for next week.
Hope this little tip will help others in the same boat if their attorneys are either not aware and/or haven’t told their clients about it.
The fax number is not made available to the general public. Only attorneys have access to it.
BTW: As a result of all this, I haven't seen any LUD changes (soft or hard) on my case status online....I thought that was strange.
I don't know if this is old news but thought of sharing it anyway.
I was in the same boat as many others here i.e, no FP notice even 1yr after filing for 485. With my PD becoming current in Aug 2008, I called my attorney to see if he can do anything to help me out. He told me that due to several complaints from people like us and a law suit threat (or an actual lawsuit, not sure) from AILA, the Texas center has sent has set up an exclusive fax line for such requests. This system came into existence only about 2-3 weeks ago.
He sent a fax on my behalf to that number last Tuesday 7/15/08. My wife and I both received FP notices on Sat 7/19/08! So looks like for a change, something that’s set up for our own good is actually working. Frankly, I hadn’t pinned any hopes on the fax having a positive impact but I was pleasantly surprised. Our appointments are for next week.
Hope this little tip will help others in the same boat if their attorneys are either not aware and/or haven’t told their clients about it.
The fax number is not made available to the general public. Only attorneys have access to it.
BTW: As a result of all this, I haven't seen any LUD changes (soft or hard) on my case status online....I thought that was strange.
more...
InTheMoment
07-23 10:16 AM
What I have heard from others having the same issue is that they would put your given name as the last name (as it is the index in their db) and put the "FNU" (First Name Unknown) under the first name. I know, this is ridiculous as you have a first name ! Hope they have something like a "LNU" as well
You meant to say NA for "not applicable" right? Others may not interpret Name followed by NA in the same way. This part of the world NA also stands for "North America" :)
This might cause issues in long run especially when you apply for GC or even extention of visa as the Name in the passport will not match the visa or even your records from school and university.
You meant to say NA for "not applicable" right? Others may not interpret Name followed by NA in the same way. This part of the world NA also stands for "North America" :)
This might cause issues in long run especially when you apply for GC or even extention of visa as the Name in the passport will not match the visa or even your records from school and university.
akred
03-09 02:08 PM
Priority date is the date on which a permanent labor certification was filed for a beneficiary and based on which an underlying I-140 petition is applied.
should be:
Priority date is defined in two ways -
a) For cases with a labor certification, the date on which a permanent labor certification was filed for a beneficiary and based on which an underlying I-140 petition is applied.
or
b) For cases without an underlying labor certification, the date on which the I-140 petition was applied for.
should be:
Priority date is defined in two ways -
a) For cases with a labor certification, the date on which a permanent labor certification was filed for a beneficiary and based on which an underlying I-140 petition is applied.
or
b) For cases without an underlying labor certification, the date on which the I-140 petition was applied for.
more...

milind70
07-25 11:19 PM
I just received a confirmation email that I485 of my wife got approved just a couple of days back. But I myself have not received anything. Its kind of weird because she was my dependent and I was the primary applicant.
Can somebody please suggest if they have seen something like this before ?Do I need to do anything ?
It is not wierd, i have heard about such cases where dependent gets approval prior to primary. You may want to take an Infopass and visit the local office and inquire with them regarding your case. I think you should see your approval pretty soon.
Can somebody please suggest if they have seen something like this before ?Do I need to do anything ?
It is not wierd, i have heard about such cases where dependent gets approval prior to primary. You may want to take an Infopass and visit the local office and inquire with them regarding your case. I think you should see your approval pretty soon.
raghuram
11-10 09:43 PM
For my recent in-laws trip, I took insurance from ICICI Lombard. As one of the previous poster mentioned they are tied up with United Healthcare and they give you an Identity Card from United Healthcare. I previously used United and they are pretty good. So its a reliable Insurance.
I took the platinum cover for my in-laws(age:mid 50s) and it came to around INR 16k for both of them for a 3 months stay, which I consider is reasonable, given a $ 250K coverage.
Previously when my parents came, I have taken ICICI Lombard. Though I was lucky enough that they did not have any medical issues and I did not need to show up at any doctor/hospital.
ICICI Lombard is only a fixed coverage plan for people age over 55 years. It is not a comprehensive coverage plan. It only pays a small fraction of the actual costs.
I took the platinum cover for my in-laws(age:mid 50s) and it came to around INR 16k for both of them for a 3 months stay, which I consider is reasonable, given a $ 250K coverage.
Previously when my parents came, I have taken ICICI Lombard. Though I was lucky enough that they did not have any medical issues and I did not need to show up at any doctor/hospital.
ICICI Lombard is only a fixed coverage plan for people age over 55 years. It is not a comprehensive coverage plan. It only pays a small fraction of the actual costs.
more...
Hinglish
01-08 12:44 AM
Thank you qasleuth ..... ..... ..... ..... frack you
Just read your post and you will see the same dastardly mistakes that I supposedly made.
Can you phrase a single complete sentence without '.....' ?
Dastardly means cowardly. What does "dastardly atrocious english" mean in the context of Neha's post ?
Sentences start with capital letters, need to have commas, and there should be proper usage of articles. I can point out atrocious mistakes in every sentence of your post.
Apart from your atrocious English, your profile is incorrect, your presumptions/tone is even more atrocious (addressing the poster as 'Miss', using words like 'hell'). Best of luck.
Just read your post and you will see the same dastardly mistakes that I supposedly made.
Can you phrase a single complete sentence without '.....' ?
Dastardly means cowardly. What does "dastardly atrocious english" mean in the context of Neha's post ?
Sentences start with capital letters, need to have commas, and there should be proper usage of articles. I can point out atrocious mistakes in every sentence of your post.
Apart from your atrocious English, your profile is incorrect, your presumptions/tone is even more atrocious (addressing the poster as 'Miss', using words like 'hell'). Best of luck.
GCwaitforever
04-11 03:13 PM
Edit your profile. Then info appears in the tracker automatically.
more...
kimbhoot
09-15 09:45 AM
Hi,
I just got my I-140 approved, under EB3 I am waiting to file 485, now I got an offer from another department in the same company.. both are tech positions, my current title is Network Specialist although I do web development too, and this new one is programmer Analyst (mostly web programming), the job description matches a little bit, but they're not completely the same..
I would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me what I'm allowed to do and what not.. I don't want to go thru the PERM process again. I looked around and looks like if the job description is similar then I can but it depends how u define similar.. Please Help.
Also how do you report (if you need to report) that the position title or salary or responsibility changes to INS. if the new department is willing to change their description to match my current one will that be fine?
I just got my I-140 approved, under EB3 I am waiting to file 485, now I got an offer from another department in the same company.. both are tech positions, my current title is Network Specialist although I do web development too, and this new one is programmer Analyst (mostly web programming), the job description matches a little bit, but they're not completely the same..
I would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me what I'm allowed to do and what not.. I don't want to go thru the PERM process again. I looked around and looks like if the job description is similar then I can but it depends how u define similar.. Please Help.
Also how do you report (if you need to report) that the position title or salary or responsibility changes to INS. if the new department is willing to change their description to match my current one will that be fine?
EB3_SEP04
08-27 08:08 PM
Use FOIA form to get a copy of your I-140 approval notice. It is a slow process. Can take upto a year to get the document.
USCIS - Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts (FOIA) (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a 1RCRD&vgnextoid=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD )
I don't think OP can do that, because I140 does not belong to you, it belongs to the company.
correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the concept is you are asking for copies of documents that you have filed and since you have to attach a copy of 140 along with 485, you have the right to ask for a copy. but since OP has not yet filed 485 or more precisely, has not attached a copy of 140 approval for anything, he/she cannot ask for the same.
I have heard getting docs from USCIS under FOIA takes about a year or even longer(no experience though).
USCIS - Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts (FOIA) (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a 1RCRD&vgnextoid=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD )
I don't think OP can do that, because I140 does not belong to you, it belongs to the company.
correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the concept is you are asking for copies of documents that you have filed and since you have to attach a copy of 140 along with 485, you have the right to ask for a copy. but since OP has not yet filed 485 or more precisely, has not attached a copy of 140 approval for anything, he/she cannot ask for the same.
I have heard getting docs from USCIS under FOIA takes about a year or even longer(no experience though).
more...

indyanguy
12-19 06:13 PM
Husband + Wife - 1 Application
Wife - Seperate Appln. ( Will do follow to join incase by chance the first one gets stuck
Can you explain how "follow to join" works? Thanks
Wife - Seperate Appln. ( Will do follow to join incase by chance the first one gets stuck
Can you explain how "follow to join" works? Thanks
div_bell_2003
01-06 01:55 PM
Interesting read since my lawyer had informed me specifically that the CBP officer at POE is not supposed to lift one copy of advanced parole, he's supposed to stamp it and hand it back over to me and make a copy for his own records. They have also told me that if a CBP officer looks to lift a copy, we should politely ask him/her if there is any specific reason he needs an original and can't make a copy.
On the same note, if every time they lift a copy, then how can one make more than say 2 trips on one AP ? I have seen lots of people using AP for business travel and they do make more trips.
You need both copies of the AP. The IO will keep one copy and stamp the other one and return it. When I got back to the USA in December 2008, my POE was Miami. My lawyer had told me to take both copies of the AP with me.
When I was in the Secondary room, there was another person who had only one copy of the AP. The IO asked him for the other copy. The dude told the IO that he had only one copy and the lawyer had told him that one copy is enough (you could see that he was nervous). The IO sarcastically told him to change his lawyer. The dude then said that he was not planning on traveling anytime before the expiry of the AP and said that the IO could keep the copy he had submitted. The IO again wryly told him that things don't work that way. He told the dude to take a seat and he wold see what he could do (the IO was actually polite all the time to this dude - even thought he sounded sarcastic at times - especially when he said "I would not waste any more money on this lawyer"). To make a long story short, I saw him get his stamped AP back and we left the room at around the same time).
My advise to you is - take both the copies - you will not regret it.
On the same note, if every time they lift a copy, then how can one make more than say 2 trips on one AP ? I have seen lots of people using AP for business travel and they do make more trips.
You need both copies of the AP. The IO will keep one copy and stamp the other one and return it. When I got back to the USA in December 2008, my POE was Miami. My lawyer had told me to take both copies of the AP with me.
When I was in the Secondary room, there was another person who had only one copy of the AP. The IO asked him for the other copy. The dude told the IO that he had only one copy and the lawyer had told him that one copy is enough (you could see that he was nervous). The IO sarcastically told him to change his lawyer. The dude then said that he was not planning on traveling anytime before the expiry of the AP and said that the IO could keep the copy he had submitted. The IO again wryly told him that things don't work that way. He told the dude to take a seat and he wold see what he could do (the IO was actually polite all the time to this dude - even thought he sounded sarcastic at times - especially when he said "I would not waste any more money on this lawyer"). To make a long story short, I saw him get his stamped AP back and we left the room at around the same time).
My advise to you is - take both the copies - you will not regret it.
more...
prem_goel
12-03 10:20 PM
Congrats!!!
If you can post interview details it will be very helpful? and also details abt ur night stay the hotel etc.
Hi, see my other thread at
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum6-non-immigrant-visas/thread783615-tijuana-stamping-on-30th-nov-anyone-new-post.html
If you can post interview details it will be very helpful? and also details abt ur night stay the hotel etc.
Hi, see my other thread at
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum6-non-immigrant-visas/thread783615-tijuana-stamping-on-30th-nov-anyone-new-post.html
logiclife
05-11 03:34 PM
Bkarnik,
We will definately take some pictures and post them here.
--Jay.
We will definately take some pictures and post them here.
--Jay.

Ramkumar
03-17 10:58 AM
Hi,
I�m in EB2 and My I-140 was approved September 2008 through Employer A. And I got laid off on November 2009 from EMP A, within 15 days I joined another Employer B. As per policy, employer B is not going to file GC for me. Already I spend 5 years on my H1B. I check with EMP A�s HR dept, they will not revoke my I-140 and H1B. I know AC21 is one of the options to transfer (Portability) my PD to Emp B after apply I-485.
It would be great if I get answer the below my Question:
1. If my PD is current, Will I eligible to apply I-485 using Employer A I-140 approved?
2. What are the documents needed from employer A, if I want apply I-485?
3. All my friends telling me, I can apply I-485, Is it true?
Tons of Thanks,
Ramkumar
I�m in EB2 and My I-140 was approved September 2008 through Employer A. And I got laid off on November 2009 from EMP A, within 15 days I joined another Employer B. As per policy, employer B is not going to file GC for me. Already I spend 5 years on my H1B. I check with EMP A�s HR dept, they will not revoke my I-140 and H1B. I know AC21 is one of the options to transfer (Portability) my PD to Emp B after apply I-485.
It would be great if I get answer the below my Question:
1. If my PD is current, Will I eligible to apply I-485 using Employer A I-140 approved?
2. What are the documents needed from employer A, if I want apply I-485?
3. All my friends telling me, I can apply I-485, Is it true?
Tons of Thanks,
Ramkumar
perm2gc
01-27 11:05 AM
Today me and my wife got our CPO emails. Mine was filed in Eb3 and my wife's was in Eb2. I got my approved though my wife.
I've been in US for 10 years... now i've two things to do
1. Wonder was it really worth this wait.
2. Move to the citizen line.
thanks IV, for all the support.
I'll not be going anywhere..My life has been on IV for all these years and now i don't know what to do because I've been addicted to come to IV every hour of my life these past years. I still remember pressing F5 during the july fiasco bulletin.
:cool:
Congrats!!!
I've been in US for 10 years... now i've two things to do
1. Wonder was it really worth this wait.
2. Move to the citizen line.
thanks IV, for all the support.
I'll not be going anywhere..My life has been on IV for all these years and now i don't know what to do because I've been addicted to come to IV every hour of my life these past years. I still remember pressing F5 during the july fiasco bulletin.
:cool:
Congrats!!!
randomdude
12-07 12:11 PM
There is no gain in waiting longer.
What is AC21? It exists due to immigration rules of limited PDs and backlogs which prolong the processing time of a 485 beyond 180 days. Since these delays are caused by their system, they have provided the option of switching employers as long as certain criteria is met.
As long as you meet the critieria you are all set. Waiting longer without meeting the criteria will be of no use and if you meet all the requirements of AC21, there is no reason to wait.
Thanks for replying KaiserSoze...nice name btw, hope you are not a figment of imagination like the one in the movie ;-)
I don't intend to be intrusive, but are you currently on EAD? Or do you plan to move to it?
I have also read at multiple places that the receipt date is the date from which we start counting 180 days for AC21. I believe that this date still holds true when one's case is transferred from say NSC to TSC. Does anyone know this for sure?
As luck would have it, my contract with my client ends on the 183rd day of my receipt date! Hence this and the original question
What is AC21? It exists due to immigration rules of limited PDs and backlogs which prolong the processing time of a 485 beyond 180 days. Since these delays are caused by their system, they have provided the option of switching employers as long as certain criteria is met.
As long as you meet the critieria you are all set. Waiting longer without meeting the criteria will be of no use and if you meet all the requirements of AC21, there is no reason to wait.
Thanks for replying KaiserSoze...nice name btw, hope you are not a figment of imagination like the one in the movie ;-)
I don't intend to be intrusive, but are you currently on EAD? Or do you plan to move to it?
I have also read at multiple places that the receipt date is the date from which we start counting 180 days for AC21. I believe that this date still holds true when one's case is transferred from say NSC to TSC. Does anyone know this for sure?
As luck would have it, my contract with my client ends on the 183rd day of my receipt date! Hence this and the original question