Sunday, December 26, 2010

No More Salt For Noyce
Director Goes Low Sodium

The theatrical cut of Salt (no longer definitive, apparently, but since I haven't seen either of the alternate cuts on the DVD and Blu-ray, still my only point of reference) ended with such a blatant sequel set-up that I'm not even sure it can really be considered an ending. (As I said in my original review, the credits started to roll just as the film seemed to be heading into its third act.) But Dark Horizons reports that frequent spy director Phillip Noyce (Patriot Games, Clear and Present DangerThe Quiet American) won't be a part of any follow-up, should it ever happen.  "Those three Blu-ray cuts represent just about everything I have to offer on Evelyn Salt. If there ever is a sequel, better it's directed by someone with a completely fresh take on what I believe could be a totally entertaining and complex series of stories," Noyce told Moviehole. Too bad. Personally, I found Noyce's refreshingly lo-fi style to be my favorite aspect of the film.  But as we've seen with the Bourne franchise, it's definitely possible for one director to solidly lay the groundwork for this sort of character and another to take it and run with it.  Even though (the first?) Salt didn't satisfy me, I'd still line up for sequels.  It seems that with all the ludicrous exposition out of the way, this character could just be getting started. However, before speculating about sequels, it would be good to note that star Angelina Jolie doesn't seem to be a big fan of them.  The only live-action role that she's ever reprised to date is that of Lara Croft.